There’s been talk recently about free DLC for the new Gears’ by Epic Games, but it now comes out on the 29th of March instead of the original date of April 2nd.
So what do you get in this free map pack and is it worth it? Well of course it is it’s free! You get a new map called Haven. This map is in a frozen monastery within the mountains of Azura, which has a circular layout where all paths meet in the middle which is a recipe for disaster when you are playing Domination on that map.
You also get a new game mode (or a not so new game mode if you are a gears veteran) and it’s called Execution. It baffled fans when the game was not shipped with this mode and it really disappointed the fan base of the series. If you are new to Gears of War and you don’t know what execution is I’ll give you a brief explanation. Each round you only have one life and your aim is to eliminate the enemy team, but there is a catch; You can’t just shoot till they’re dead, they go into a status of DBNO (Down But Not Out) and you have to perform an execution on them to kill them. The better the execution the more points you accumulate. It’s good to see an old friend out of this free DLC.
There is also a patch update for the game here is the list of fixes:
- Various dedicated server improvements.
- Players no longer get stuck in the main menu background after playing three random matches.
- Locusts no longer spawn at the second E-Hole on the first wave of Island.
- Players will no longer get stuck inside of a Boom Shield that has been planted by an enemy player.
- Players will no longer able to look down the scope with a Markza while holding a Meat Shield.
- If a Locust destroys an objective at the same time the timer runs out in OverRun using Mercy rules, the match will not end early.
- Fix for exclamation points not disappearing after viewing an unlocked character.
- While holding a Meat Shield you will only need to tap B to melee.
- The Meat Shield will now drop if you switch to the snub.
- The “Spray and Pray” ribbon can now be earned in the first round.
- If the Boom Shield is disabled in weapon swap you will no longer see the icon in Tac-Com.
- You will now earn the Team Savior ribbon for reviving three individual teammates in a single life.
- Players can no longer chainsaw another player while holding the Boom Shield.
- Improvements to the Hammer of Dawn targeting.
- You will now see XP tallies between matches.