SHARE
First UK Music Chart to Include Streaming Figures Released, Ariana Grande Crowned Number 1.

The first UK music chart to include streaming figures has been released and American Singer/Songwriter Ariana Grande has made British history by being the first musician to be given the coveted UK Number 1 now the new streaming figures come into play.

Last month, The Official Charts Company announced that on July 6, the UK Music charts will start including streaming figures along with singles purchased both physically and digitally. The way this new metric is taken into account is by every 100 30+ second plays of a song will count as one digital song purchase. Services which are included in this new metric are Spotify, Deezer, Napster, O2 Tracks, Xbox Music and Sony’s Music Unlimited.

Ariana Grande’s track ‘Problem’ which features Iggy Azalea has topped the charts this week with a combined “chart sales” figure of 113,000. But how many of those “sales” are actually streams? The Official Charts Company revealed that the number of plays of ‘Problem’ on streaming services made up 6% of the song’s success. For those who can’t do the maths, that’s 712,000 streams.

Martin Talbot, chief executive of the Official Charts Company, said: “This is a big week for the official singles chart – and we are delighted that it is such a big week for them too.”

Overall in the UK’s top 50 singles, 20% of the “chart sales” were made up of music being streamed.  Though in comparison to physical and digital sales that make up the remaining 80%, streaming services are certainly making a big enough impact for The Official Charts Company to decide to add this additional metric.

“I’m so happy‎,” Iggy Azalea told OfficialCharts.com. “Yay!”

Join the Conversation

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of