SHARE
Look Out, You Could be Allergic to iPads!

An eleven-year-old American has been diagnosed with a Nickel allergy as a result of playing with a first generation iPad. This news comes from a report published in the American Journal of Paediatrics which suggests that Nickel, usually found within computers, tablets, and smartphones has caused this allergic reaction.

In this particular case, for six months, an eleven-year-old in the US was suffering from rashes from unknown origin. After Dr Sharon Jacob and Dr Shehla Admani, who are both dermatologists, studied the allergies they discover that the child was allergic to Nickel and a search of the house to find the contaminant ensued. They soon discovered that the first generation iPad, that the child often played on, contained Nickel and that this was the likely cause of the reaction. Once they had put a cover on the device the rashes disappeared.

Apple have released a statement on the issue which read, “We have found that allergies like the one reported in this case are extremely rare. Apple products are made from the highest quality materials and meet the same strict standards set for jewellery by both the U.S. Consumer Safety Product Commission and their counterparts in Europe.

“We rigorously test our products to make sure they are safe for all our customers,” the company concluded.

10 years ago Nickel allergies only effected 17% of children but now it has increased to effecting 25%.

“With the increasing prevalence of nickel allergy in the pediatric population, it is important for clinicians to continue to consider metallic-appearing electronics and personal effects as potential sources of nickel exposure,” the dermatologists said in the study.

Have you been suffering with rashes and are unable to find the cause? Perhaps it’s your iPad?

Join the Conversation

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of