Head into any good book store in the UK and chances are in the top 40 charts you’ll find a Minecraft themed book, whether it’s a recipe book, a how-to book, or something else all together, it’s clear Minecraft is a very, very popular title. It’s so popular that last year books based on video games were worth £14.5 million, that’s a rise of almost £10 million year-on-year.
Nielsen has revealed that this increase in sales was down to the success of Minecraft books. Minecraft strategy books and annuals made up a total of seven of the top ten books based on games, totalling almost 2 million in sales. That’s right, out of all of the books in the top ten charts, there were seven Minecraft themed books..
In fact, the best0selling Minecraft title, Minecraft: The Official Construction Book, outsold some of last years more popular titles, such as Assassin’s Creeed Unity and the retail version of Minecraft itself.
Here’s the full rundown:
- Minecraft: The Official Construction Book (Egmont) – 548,017
- Minecraft: The Official Combat Handbook (Egmont) – 466,897
- Minecraft: The Official Redstone Handbook (Egmont) – 406,132
- Minecraft: The Official Beginner’s Guide (Egmont) – 387,647
- Minecraft: Blockopedia (Egmont) – 80,835
- Skylanders Official Annual 2015 (Puffin) – 51,310
- Minecraft: The Official Annual 2014 (Egmont) – 48,399
- Assassin’s Creed: Unity (Penguin Books) – 26,870
- Angry Birds: Super Interactive Annual 2015 (Pedigree) – 24,208
- Build, Discover, Survive! Mastering Minecraft (Brady Publishing) – 22,810