Apparently around 8.5 million people enjoy playing one of the most difficult games of all time. Though that’s a bit of a broad statement, the Dark Souls series is pretty notorious in regards to the amount of times players will die. For those who don’t know, it’s a lot.
The news comes via Famitsu reporting from a presentation From Software held earlier this week. The data itself was made sense of by NeoGAF.
So how well has the series sold?
- Dark Souls has sold 2,828,000 units worldwide
- Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (“with Artorias of the Abyss”) has sold 2,765,000 units worldwide
- Dark Souls 2 has sold 2,311,000 units worldwide
- Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin has sold 600,000 units worldwide
- That’s a total of 8,504,000 sold
Though the game also launched on PC, eventually, the numbers are currently in dispute at the moment as Steam Spy seems to have grossly over estimated the amount of sales.
Dark Souls 3 is the next title in the series which was announced just last month at E3. It’ll be coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4.