Yesterday I took a trip out to my local toy store, and as I walked in I saw a huge bargain bin chock full of Disney Infinity figures. Now, I knew that the series was no more, but for the toys to be in the bargain bin felt a little extreme to me, I knew something was up.
A few hours later, I received an email from Disney which revealed some pretty chilling news for fans of the now-cancelled series: Disney Infinity is essentially being shut down.
For the most part, despite the company not bringing more Disney Infinity games or toys to the world, the game itself could have potentially stood the test of time as the Toybox mode allowed for infinite possibilities. However, in the coming months, in some scenarios, that won’t even be an option any more.
To sum it up in a few words, the offline portions of the game on console will remain forever. For players on PC, Android, and iOS however, they’ll no longer be playable after September 30. The Windows 10 edition (separate from the PC version) as well as the Apple TV versions of the game will also be completely shut down on March 3.
That being said, console’s don’t miss out on this mass culling however, as from March 3, Toy Boxes will no longer be downloaded. Players will also be unable to upload them after September 30.
If you’re still a little dumbfounded, here’s a handy list via Disney themselves:
As of today (July 29, 2016)
- No in-game purchases can be made within the PC, Steam version of Disney Infinity 2.0, iOS, Google Android, Amazon Android and Apple TV versions of the game as this feature has now been removed.
- You can continue to make in-game purchases within the Steam version of Disney Infinity 3.0.
As of September 30, 2016
- You will no longer be able to log in to play the PC, iOS, Google Android and Amazon Android versions of Disney Infinity, these will no longer be available on the respective app stores.
- The Steam versions of Disney Infinity 2.0 & 3.0 will remain operational with the exception of all online services and community features as these will be discontinued.
- Apple TV versions of Disney Infinity will be removed from the AppStore.
- The Disney Infinity Community team will no longer be reviewing or approving any new Toy Boxes that are submitted to Disney for all console, mobile and PC versions of the game. However if you are playing on any console, Apple TV or Windows 8/10 versions of the game, you can continue to download your favorite Toy Boxes from the Community Content section until March 3, 2017.
As of January 3, 2017
- No in-game purchases can be made within the Windows 8/10 versions of the game as this feature will be removed.
As of March 3, 2017
- Apple TV and Windows 8/10 versions will no longer be available, supported or playable.
- All Disney Infinity online services and community features for all versions will be discontinued.
Simply put, as of March 3, 2017, the only way you’ll be able to get some joy out of the potential hundreds of pounds you’ve spent on collecting Disney Infinity figures and Toy Boxes is by playing the console versions of the game. Even then, you’ll be limited to offline content, which really only includes the pre-made play sets which come with Disney Infinity figure packs.