Among the numerous mods for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and XCOM: Enemy Within, one of the most well-known has always been Pavonis Interactive’s The Long War, a wide-reaching overhaul of the game that greatly extends the length of the campaign and hugely expands almost every aspect of XCOM: Enemy Within’s gameplay, adding more soldier classes, changes to perks, expanded strategy elements and much, much more.
Looks like it’s time to settle in for the long haul once more though, as Pavonis Interactive have released the mod’s successor for XCOM 2 – appropriately titled The Long War 2 – onto Steam Workshop with the full blessing of 2K and Firaxis Games.
The Long War 2 packs a similarly impressive feature list as its predecessor, including:
- “ADVENT” strategic AI system that tries to actively counter your moves
- A much longer campaign, running for 100-120 missions
- Dozens of new enemies and smarter battlefield AI
- Infiltration mechanics that require you to send out multiple squads at once
- Two new weapon tiers, lasers and coilguns
- Nine soldier classes: Sharpshooter, Shinobi, Ranger, Assault, Gunner, Grenadier, Specialist, Technical and Psionic (plus Sparks for DLC owners), each with unique secondary weapons
- The need to manage resistance Havens and have resistance members scrounge for supplies, gather intelligence or recruit more people to your cause.
To celebrate the mod’s release, Pavonis Interactive have created a series of videos outlining some of the new features introduced in The Long War 2, including a spotlight on the mod’s new missions and the “Technical” character class.
Even the XCOM 2 developers themselves have gotten in on the action, as team members Jake Solomon and Garth DeAngelis uploaded an hour-long stream showing them playing through some of The Long War 2.