It’s been vaguely hinted at and danced around for ages, but it’s finally been confirmed – Final Fantasy XV, the latest in the venerable Final Fantasy RPG series, will be coming to PC packed with NVIDIA-specific features in 2018.
The efficiently titled Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition is powered by a new version of the Luminous Studio Pro engine used to create the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game simply titled the Luminous Engine.
What’s new? Aside from native 4K resolution and HDR 10 compatibility, the Windows Edition will sport a host of new graphical features that take full advantage of NVIDIA’s Gameworks technology (alongside ShadowPlay and Ansel) including:
- NVIDIA Flow – Which creates “vivid, combustible fluid, fire and smoke”.
- NVIDIA HairWorks – Which creates dynamic, life-like hair and fur for characters, animals and monsters that inhabit the game.
- NVIDIA ShadowWorks – Which enables characters to cast shadows on themselves.
- NVIDIA Turf Effects – Which creates life-like grass and vegetation in the game environment.
- NVIDIA VXAO – Which is an advanced Ambient Occlusion technique that adds depth and realism based on the physics principles of shadows and light.
That sound you just heard was every NVIDIA graphics card on Earth taking a long, nervous breath.
Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition will include all the content updates from the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game, including the Episode Prompto, Episode Gladiolus and Episode Ignis DLCs originally included with the Season Pass.
You’ll also be able to “explore the world of Eos through Noctis’s eyes” in an all-new first-person mode. Colour me very intrigued indeed to see how that turns out!
Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition will be released on Steam in early 2018.