Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 hasn’t even launched yet but there are already rumours and speculation around the next entry into the series that’s being headed by Infinity War.
According to the latest rumours, Infinity Ward is working on the fourth entry into the Modern Warfare series, what’s more the series’ original developer will be returning to help develop the game.
The Modern Warfare series seemed to have come to an end following the release of Modern Warfare 3 back in 2011. Since then, Infinity War worked on Call of Duty Ghosts and Infinite Warfare which weren’t the most well-received entries in the Call of Duty franchise.
Since then, Call of Duty: WW2 went back to basics, and now Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is ditching single player and pretty much everything we’re used to from a Call of Duty title. Now, according to GamingIntel’s Matt Harris, Modern Warfare 4 will be the next title on the cards.
Their sources have indicated that, unlike Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, Modern Warfare 4 will be a “fully fledged” Call of Duty title with a campaign, multiplayer, zombies, and even talks of a Battle Royale mode, though that’s a bit of a stretch.
In addition to all of this, Internet sleuths have discovered that a number of Infinity Ward’s ex-members, who left to create Respawn Entertainment, have returned to the studio. According to LinkedIn and social media profiles, the following may be back for Modern Warfare 4:
- Geoffrey Smith — Former Designer at Infinity Ward, now Multiplayer Design Director at Infinity Ward.
- Joel Emslie — Former Art Lead at Infinity Ward, now Studio Art Director at Infinity Ward.
- Mark Grigsby – Former Lead Animator at Infinity Ward, now back as Animation Director at Infinity Ward
- Ranon Sarono – Former Senior Animator at Respawn, now Senior Animator at Infinity Ward
- John Mundy — Former Senior Game Designer at Respawn, now Senior Game Designer at Infinity Ward
- Joshua Dunnam — Former Senior Environment Artist at Respawn, now Senior Environment Artist at Infinity Ward
- Dom McCarthy — Former Producer at Respawn, now Producer at Infinity Ward
- Madison Cromwell — Former Art Producer at Respawn, now the Associate Producer at Infinity Ward
It’s worth noting that since Respawn Entertainment was absorbed into EA Games, a number of the team may have left for greener pastures, and with many of them being former Infinity Ward, it makes sense that they’d all move over to that studio.
What this means for the next Call of Duty game is unclear. Perhaps Infinity Ward are using former Respawn staff to make wall running and jumping a little more refined, or maybe they’re trying to rekindle the old flame.
I guess we’ll find out in a year’s time.