If rumors are believed to be true then we may be getting our Mortal Kombat 11 reveal from Ed Boon sooner than we think at none other then the final major games event of the year, The Video Games Awards!
That is at least according to a recent 4Chan post over the weekend, so take everything with a grain of salt and bear in mind that this is a 4Chan rumor/leak which are never entirely accurate.
The Video Game Awards in recent years has become a place where studios and companies tend to now reveal new AAA games or trailers for what’s to come in the new year and beyond. After having no word of a new Mortal Kombat game at E3 of June this year, expected by many too I might add due to their 2 year development cycle/reveal that they’ve finally broken trend off, we are all now left in a bit of confusion as to when they will make their grand announcement for the sequel.
This recent 4Chan leak/rumor included the following information:
- Reveal at the Video Game Awards
- 4 year development cycle (1-year concept 3-year full development) longest to date.
- Concept plans started while making MK X.
- It has an adventure mode like Shaolin Monks/MK Deception type of gameplay. You can customize your character in this mode, lots of items for customization weapons. Also a daily/buyable type of loot micro-transaction system.
- Adventure mode is also co-op, online or single player. Drop in/drop-out style.
- Story mode is the normal Netherealm Studios version we’re used to and adventure is another mode, both separate.
- Story revolves around 3 main characters.
- Punishing Raiden; the thunder god is now punishing anyone trying to even dare attack Earthrealm.
- Emperor Liu Kang and Empress Kitana are preparing an army and trying to find a stone of specific significance left by the Elder gods in the MK universe.
- Shang Tsung and Reiko make a deal with Kotal Kahn to protect and rule outworld security, Reiko has his own agenda though gets killed in the middle of it all.
- Uses UE4 instead of UE3 like all other NRS games.
- Animations are a lot more polished and fluid. Using UE4 it looks a lot better than MKX in terms of animations and graphical fidelity.
- Fujin is a playable character.
- Johnny Cage, Goro, Sonya, Kano, Baraka, Mileena, Ferratorr are 100% not playable.
This is possibly everything I’ve ever wanted in a Mortal Kombat game as the open world mode in Deception was a really cool idea to try but add on character customisation and drop in/drop-out co-op would end up being a very welcome addition in my opinion to the franchise and really makes it worth buying that standard value of £49.99 for a fighting game.
Only time we tell in the next few days if this is all true and to make matters worse it doesn’t help us that Mortal Kombat creator Ed Boon likes to continuously troll us on his Twitter feed with MK memes! It’s just pure cruelty… stop trolling us all on Twitter Ed and finally give us our sequel!
You can read our review for Mortal Kombat X here. The VGA’s are scheduled for Thursday 6th December at 5.30pm (USA) and Friday 7th December at 1.30am (UK) time.