The Entertainment Retailers Association (ERA) has announced the unsurprising news that a huge majority of video game sales in the UK are digital.
The past couple of months, at least when it comes to the UK Gaming Charts, one trend stood out. Sales of physical video games of comparable games/sequels were down pretty much across the board. We could have attributed it to the games themselves being lackluster – looking at you Fallout 76 – but for the most part, it seems to mostly be because physical sales are down overall.
According to The ERA, in 2018 the UK video game market saw sales of £3.86 billion and of that figure, £3.09 billion was from digital and £770 million was from physical sales.
It’s worth noting that the digital revenue figure does include microtransactions, DLC, subscriptions, pay-to-play, as well as game sales. Overall, this number has increased by 12.5 percent. Physical sales, on the other hand, are down by 2.8 percent.
The Entertainment Retailers Association said of the £3.86bn generated by the video game market in the UK in 2018, £3.09bn was from digital and £770m was from physical sales.
It’s a pretty eye-opening picture for the games retail market in the UK, and makes a lot of sense why companies like Microsoft are potentially exploring digital-only consoles.
Here’s a full rundown of the top selling games of 2018 in the UK (physical only):
- FIFA 19 (EA) 1,889,401
- Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar) 1,757,212
- Call Of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Activision) 1,172,855
- Marvel’s Spider-Man (Sony) 676,621
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) 458,675
- Far Cry 5 (Ubisoft) 434,133
- Crash Bandicoot N.Sane Trilogy (Activision) 430,551
- God Of War (Sony) 399,395
- Forza Horizon 4 (Microsoft) 392,960
- FIFA 18 (EA) 351,788
- Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar) 339,805
- Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Activision) 333,725
- Battlefield 5 (EA) 313,100
- Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft) 305,937
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Nintendo) 284,155
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo) 240,710
- Call Of Duty: WW2 (Activision) 230,576
- Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! (Nintendo) 227,767
- Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (Square Enix) 226,125
- Fallout 76 (Bethesda) 218,534