The headline says it all really, Disney have done a massive U-turn and decided to rehire previously sacked writer/director James Gunn to work on Guardians of the Galaxy 3.
It’s taken a long time coming considering he was sacked back in July for a series of inappropriate decade old tweets. The decision to bring him back was made months ago and after a series of meetings between Gunn and Alan Horn, the Walt Disney Studios President, an agreement was made to bring him back. One of the deciding factors was Gunn’s public statement after this came to light and how he handled the situation.
He also tweeted that he “appreciated Disney’s decision”, which shows the man has no ill feelings towards them. Even through all of it, he never said a bad word about the company for it.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) March 15, 2019
He had been supported by all the cast members of Guardians Of The Galaxy including Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Bradley Cooper and more. Even Dave Bautista at one point stated that he wasn’t sure if he still wanted to work for Disney.
It gets a bit more complicated as James Gunn had agreed to move to DC and start working on Suicide Squad 2. It has been stated though that no work will be started on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 until his work with DC has finished.
This would mean an even further delay until the film comes out. I for one think this is fantastic news and allows for Gunn to complete his threequel.